December 26, 2011

Sounds From Different Grounds...

I figured we could all use a break from the relentless holiday music of late...

A few years ago I realized my little Canon Digital Elph does sound recordings. Sure, they're totally amateur but listening to them brings me right back to the moments I recorded them. Being able to mentally relocate for a moment here and there is an essential survival strategy for Maine winters.

A few summers ago I was reviewing pictures from the day on my camera, close to sleep in bed on a screened-in porch, at a magical lakeside Maine camp. I was getting ready to sleep, playing with the camera menus when a bunch of Common Loons decided to hold council less than 50 ft away. At that exact moment, I discovered the sound recording feature on my camera and recorded this golden nugget...

Common Loon Council - Maine

This Chuck-will's-widow (that has to be the coolest bird name ever) was recorded one night in Florida when we pulled over to watch a big ol' orange full moon rise up on the way out from Okaloacoochee Slough State Forest...say that ten times fast! 

Chuck-will's-widow - Florida


This one is a local Great Horned Owl that frequents the 'back 40'...

Great Horned Owl - Maine


And if you can hear past the other bird chatter, there is a Hooded Warbler singing in this one recorded on a mountaintop in western Maine...

Hooded Warbler and friends - Maine 

If you can ignore the bit o' wind in this one you'll hear a Yellow-headed Blackbird in North Dakota. I've always thought zombies would make sounds like Yellow-headed's - if I ever make a zombie movie, I will be sure Yellow-headed Blackbirds are dubbed in for the zombie noises.

Yellow-headed Blackbird - North Dakota


And since it would uncharacteristic to have a photo-less post - I will leave you with one of Scoobs counting Northern Gannets in Rhode Island...Scoobs says she thinks NOGA would be a cool name for a dog...


No comments:

Post a Comment