December 29, 2011

Holy Glaucomys! Part II: And Then There Were Four...

Again, this may not be very birdy - but I believe it is applicable in the category of bird feeding. The resident Glaucomys (see previous post Holy Glaucomys!) are becoming more comfortable in my presence. One has been closely approaching me in the garage every night, and I must say he (she?) is adorable. Yes, I am a Biologist, and yes, I squeak and kiss at him and call him 'Peanuts'. I have to admit to putting up a little shelf for him to sit on when he comes to hang out. He raids the bird feeders and suet and enjoys chewing this deer antler hanging in the garage...

 
Now I haven't done any rigorous scientific investigations into the size of the Glaucomys population living with us, but my hunch after cohabiting with for them two years is that n = 2, certainly no more than 3. But life as a Wildlife Biologist, even at home, is always full of learning surprises. 

I cleaned up the bird food bag in the garage that I had found Peanuts raiding - but I left a couple of peanuts on his shelf in condolences that he would now again have to travel the 20 extra feet to the birdfeeder. 


I think Peanuts told his family that the human is cool and to come on out - the next night I witnessed four, yes, four flying squirrels casing the joint. My estimate of 2-3 individuals was clearly too conservative.

The bizarre thing was that all four were friendly and playful. I mean, these wild creatures were all in the garage with me, with the lights on, for over an hour. Basically, they could have beaten me up if they wanted to, but they seemed curious and entertained instead. 

Granted, we have had some pretty warm nights lately. But this is just crazy. Four doesn't seem so bad seeing as I've heard stories of as many as 50+ in one home. I'm not sure how I'd handle that many...


Now they sit on their little shelf like gargoyles while I'm out there, even while I'm talking on the phone, with the light on - and they don't run away. In fact, one might say they're a bit playful. They like to climb up the wall and come over above your head. There have been moments of some sort of a 'pop goes the weasel' game and many long minutes of just hanging out a couple of feet away...


After seeing the four of them together, I began to observe slight differences - I swear Peanuts is unmistakable, and then there was this guy - much darker than the others. BINGO! I believe my Glaucomys conundrum has been solved...maybe there is a Northern Flying Squirrel (Glaucomys sabrinus) living with our Southern Flying Squirrels (Glaucomys volans)! I guess this one'll be called Yankee. I dunno, maybe I'm wrong, but this one definitely looked different from the others...compare the darker tail tip, base of belly hairs, and fur under the eye of 'Yankee'...


Compared to the paler under eye, lighter tail, and creamier belly of this one (aka 'Mops')...




They are usually silent, but one night Peanuts was chatty so I recorded this communication...not that I studied the language of 'Glaucomic' in college, but I believe this squirrel is saying that he wants a bird feeder hung in the garage...

Peanuts speaks

I swear they're not pets! I've read that it is legal in some states to keep flying squirrels as pets, but Maine is not one of them. I believe all is legal with the Glaucomys here though - they are still very much wild even if they like to hang out with their human landlord on occasion.  

I know I've mentioned the long, cold winters here in Maine - but these little pals are making this one much more fun. I'm sure by spring I'll be ready for them to move out again, and look forward to seeing them glide overhead between the willows while I sit barefoot in the hammock. But for now, I have to admit it is a bit creepy to walk into the dark garage and know that I'm not alone...
 

4 comments:

  1. Those guys are pretty freakin adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ridiculously cute, I can barely stand it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I lived for about 10 years in upstate Vermont so I am so glad I have finally found a good blog from New England. My own birdwatching will ow be on hold for a bit while I browse some of your postings. Thanks so much for your fun posts, especially as they also touch on weasels, gliders and short winter day full of snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading and for the kind words!

      Delete